Arthritis: Arth' meaning joint, 'itis' meaning inflammation, prevents normal use of joints as a result of damage to the joint from disease, daily wear and tear, and muscle strains caused by forceful movements against stiff joints. Types: Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid, Fibromyalgia and Gout.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Week 7: Challenge Yourself. Help Millions.

“Enthusiasm is excitement with inspiration, motivation, and a pinch of creativity.”
- Bo Bennett

Elise Skydiving
You can do anything if you have enthusiasm.
Enthusiasm is the yeast that makes your hope rise to the stars.
Enthusiasm is the sparkle in your eye,
It is the swing in your gait, the grip of your hand,
the irresistible surge of your will, and your energy to execute your ideas.

Enthusiasts are fighters.

They have fortitude. They have staying qualities.       
Enthusiasm is at the bottom of all progress!
With it is accomplishment. Without it there are only alibis.                       

- Henry Ford


What sparked Elise’s enthusiasm?

     As I was riding the subway home from work, I saw an opportunity that would change my life. I discovered the Joints In Motion Training Team for The Arthritis Society. The poster said Challenge Yourself. Help Millions.”
           
     The challenge involved fitness, helping a greater cause, and traveling.  I love all three of these challenges and signed up. Prior to my commitment, I was not exercising, had minimal fundraising experience, and had never thought of going to China.  
Why did I sign up right away? 
I believe anything is possible and the only thing stopping me from reaching my goals is myself.

Hiked Mt. Sulphur (Banff, AB)




“Life’s battles don’t always go to the stronger or faster man. But sooner or later, the man who wins, is the man who thinks he can.” 
– Vince Lombardi 

Surfing (Del Mar, CA)

By committing to this challenge, I have learned a great deal about arthritis and the need for more research. At the same time, observing how arthritic symptoms affect my patients quality of life.



Most people stand up for a cause because they have personally experienced it or have been affected by it through a friend or family member. My situation is a little different. I am fighting arthritis because of compassion. I am driven by a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering.                                                      

I am running for people who have discomfort with movement.
I am fundraising to improve Arthritis research and quality of treatments.
I am traveling to the Great Wall to witness what thousands of slaves were sacrificed for the completion of this ambitious endeavor.




No comments:

Post a Comment