Arthritis: Arth' meaning joint, 'itis' meaning inflammation, prevents normal use of joints as a result of damage to the joint from disease, daily wear and tear, and muscle strains caused by forceful movements against stiff joints. Types: Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid, Fibromyalgia and Gout.

Monday, March 7, 2011

Week 9: Courage, is it in you?

“Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential 
Winston Churchill 


I ran 10.2 km in the snow with fellow team member David
 
     I started training outdoors last week and covered 6 km in my first run. This week I increased the distance to 10 km and reached my goal in 1hr 25 mins.

     During the 8 km mark, my body felt the increase in challenge from the run and my legs were wondering what I was putting them through. I thought to myself  "If I already achieved 80% of my goal, I can't give up!". I did not feel pain or discomfort while running, but my energy level felt depleted.

     I kept reminding myself that I was too close to my goal to give up. I am running for those who have discomfort with movement. I am running to help fight arthritis. Over 4 million Canadians who suffer from arthritis are faced physical battles on a daily basis.  

Arthritis patients inspire me because they have courage!  

Courage:
The quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, pain, etc., without fear; bravery.

No comments:

Post a Comment