Arthritis: Arth' meaning joint, 'itis' meaning inflammation, prevents normal use of joints as a result of damage to the joint from disease, daily wear and tear, and muscle strains caused by forceful movements against stiff joints. Types: Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid, Fibromyalgia and Gout.

Monday, June 6, 2011

Week 20 : Conquering the Great Wall

"We are formed and molded by our thoughts. Those whose minds are shaped by selfless thoughts give joy when they speak or act. Joy follows them like a shadow that never leaves them." - Buddha















JIM teammates

Day 6 : The Great Wall Marathon

3:00am

I prepared my favourite sports breakfast, instant oatmeal, put on my lime green Joints In Motion (JIM) team jersey, packed my backpack and jumped on the bus. Together the JIM team, which consisted of 33 people from all over Canada drove 2.5 hours to Ying Yang Square in Tianjin Province.
 
By 6 am, we arrived at the Great Wall to meet over 2,000 participants from all over the world. Finally,  the runners were united after months of grueling training to run 5,164 steps along one of the Seven New Wonders of the World. 



           




    After warming up for the run, I waited patiently next to Nick "Danger" who had completed this marathon in 2008. I added the "Danger" to his name because he has really lived life on the edge. Nick "Danger" has completed 55 international marathons by the age of 55. I don't think I could have sat beside a better and more experienced marathon runner than Nick. I was inspired by his achievement.

Before the run
I asked him which marathon was the best and most difficult in the world and he said this one. "Once you complete the Great Wall Marathon, all the other marathons will seem much easier " said Nick. "It's an adventure marathon, go out there and have fun!" All of a sudden all the pressure to run my best was set aside to ensure I enjoyed every moment of it.
Nick "Danger's" achievements have included parachuting, travelling under the Atlantic on a submarine; driving in demolition derbies and building and living in an igloo. As well, he nearly lost his life in a Yukon blizzard when trapped just under the summit of Mt. Logan, Canada's highest peak.   


Warm up
Start
7:45 am

3...2...1...Go! The second round of Marathons took off! 6 teammates hiked 5km up the mountain to the Great Wall Entrance. We ventured the Wall together like children, making funny gestures, finding new discoveries and filled with excitement. There was no step high enough, steep enough, or cricked enough to get in the way of crossing the finish line. No matter how long it took. After 3.2km along the Wall, Charlene and I ran through Ying Yang Square, waved hello to our teammates and then headed towards the near by Village. 


Ying Yang Square



Charlene and I
I have never seen so many different shape, size, and width type of steps all along the same path. As well, the Wall was slanted. One glance up to enjoy the view might be risky.  One lady went to get her camera out as she was running tumbled over the water canals. This was one route which required extreme balance, leg strength and endurance. 






David


Village

Villager
The local people of Duanzhuang Village welcomed us with open arms. The marathon is a big event in this village, as families lined up along the course to cheer us on and children gave us hand picked flowers. Running from a paved road to unpaved with mixed surfaces through the most basic housing, took my mind away from the marathon and into the lives of the locals.
 

 

Got an invitation to her home.

Only 19 Km
21 Km - Mission accomplished!
 
Ran through the finish line with a burst of energy 4 hours later! I wanted to continue back up the mountain for a second round. 

I can't believe I trained 4 months to run 21 Km at this special event. I noticed that I was well prepared and all of the training paid off. I did not feel muscle soreness or tightness the days following.

Participating in this event was truly a physical component to "Fighting Arthritis"! I would love to return to run the full marathon in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment