Arthritis: Arth' meaning joint, 'itis' meaning inflammation, prevents normal use of joints as a result of damage to the joint from disease, daily wear and tear, and muscle strains caused by forceful movements against stiff joints. Types: Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid, Fibromyalgia and Gout.

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Week 10: Marathon of Hope

“Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.” - Dale Carnegie 


Terry Fox - Marathon of Hope
“I'm not a dreamer, and I'm not saying this will initiate any kind of definitive answer or cure to cancer, but I believe in miracles. I have to.”  - Terry Fox 
 
Hope: the belief in a positive outcome related to events and circumstances in one's life



     I participated in the 12th Annual St.Patrick's Day run at the Steam Whistle Brewing in support of Achilles Canada "Running Beyond Disability". This non-profit organization provides people with various disabilities an opportunity to receive the physical, psychological, and communal benefits of running. 

Team Blind Guy carried a canoe 5K
    The run/walk consisted of people with all disabilities such as visual, cerebral palsy, paraplegia, arthritis, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, amputation, cystic fibrosis, or those who suffer from stroke, cancer, traumatic head injury, and many others. Some runners participated in wheelchairs, on prostheses, and without aid.

Getting pumped before the run
      The run started at 10:15am, however with the Day Light Savings Time it felt like 9:15am. As I went to pick up my shirt and time chip, I passed by an array of runners dressed in funky green outfits, including older men wearing green tutus. I could feel the excitement in the air from all of the participants as we waited to start the run. My heart was pounding, my feet were prancing and I was ready to take off!

   I was inspired to run with people who have various disabilities, especially the visually impaired. It is truly amazing to see people overcome their own personal challenges and push themselves to reach for the stars. The participants with disabilities who ran or walked 5K are an excellent example of hope. They have belief in a positive outcome related to events and circumstances in their life.

No comments:

Post a Comment